If you want a juicy, sweet, and healthy snack, then blueberries are just the thing you need. This delicious treat is packed with many benefits and is also low in calories. Bonus: With only 80 calories per cup, you can satisfy your sweet tooth while being nice to your body!
Blueberries are small powerhouses of health and have many benefits for us. Here are just a few benefits of these tiny fruits.
- Maintain healthy bones- The vitamins and minerals help maintain the strength of bones.
- Lower blood pressure- The minerals in this fruit help decrease blood pressure naturally and are low in sodium which is what can increase your blood pressure.
- Fight against heart disease and help maintain blood sugar- This fruit is high in fiber, shown to help maintain blood sugar and lower your chances of heart disease. The vitamins and minerals also help you keep a healthy heart.
- Help prevent cancer: The high amounts of vitamins A and C are antioxidants which help your body reduce your cancer risk.
- Improve mental health and improve short-term memory and coordination
- Healthy digestion and weight loss- The high amounts of fiber help you digest your food better and keep you fuller longer.
- Fight wrinkles- The high amounts of vitamin C help repair your skin and may reduce your wrinkles.
Add some blueberries to your day by using them as toppings at one of our yogurt bars, add them into your smoothies, or check our other berries available campus wide and in our grab-n-go products.
Blueberry Almond Coconut Overnight Oats:
Here is an easy way to incorporate some blueberries into your everyday routine. Prepare this recipe overnight and wake up with breakfast already made.
- cup rolled oats
- cup unsweetened coconut milk
- cup frozen blueberries
- 1/8 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- Tiny pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon shredded coconut
- tablespoon sliced almonds
- In a pint size glass mason jar add everything except for the coconut and almonds.
- Place lid and store in the refrigerator overnight.
- Sprinkle with shredded coconut and almonds.
- Stir and enjoy!
Serving size: 1 jar
Created by TTU Graduate, Dietetic Intern: Vanessa Garcia, for questions:
Hospitality Dietitian | Mindy Diller, MS, RDN, LD | email@example.com